Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Challenge -- Day 102

Today's Scripture: Luke 10:17-42
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

The stained glass window in the back of our sanctuary portrays the story of Mary and Martha. There are times I look at it and ask myself, "Who are you today? Mary or Martha?"  I've heard a lot preached on this text, many giving Martha a bad rap. It is true, Jesus told Martha that Mary had chosen the better thing, but I'm not sure he meant for us to sit around all day either. I'm convinced Jesus was talking about the condition of Martha's heart... not what she was doing. Martha was serving Jesus and the others. She was using her gifts of hospitality to serve the Lord. The problem was her heart just wasn't in it. Her attitude was... well... stinky.

Sometimes when I look at the window I'm Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus. Sometimes I'm Martha serving so others can sit at Jesus' feet. My desire is, whether listening or serving, to do it with right attitude and a joy filled heart.

Father God, teach me to check the motive behind my actions,
whether I'm listening or serving. Help me to bring wrong attitudes to You
for healing and forgiveness. Remind me not to judge others, 
for only You see what's in a heart. Bless me with grace for myself and others.

And whatever you do, in word or deed,
do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment