Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Challenge -- Day 163

Today's Scripture: John 16:16-33
[We're coming close to the end of our journey through the gospels. You know what to do. Open up the Word through your Bible or by clicking the reference above.]

Jesus has been preparing His disciples for this moment...

"A little while, and you will see me no longer;
and again a little while, and you will see me."
John 16:16

But they could not understand... What is He saying to us?

Through Jesus we discover God's grace in preparing us for what's to come, what lies ahead. We just don't always get it.

There was a time in my life He prepared me for something He knew was coming. For a season of several weeks, months, I felt His call to fast several hours a day, several days a week.

I had no idea why. Previous to this time, the call to fast also came with a call to pray. But not this time. Through these days I felt a little crazy. Was this me? Is it Him? The pressing to fast continued, and by faith I chose to obey.

During this time He revealed some issues in my heart with food. It was one place I went for comfort and solace, instead of Him. In the exercise of fasting, He revealed how I worshiped the clock for the hour of fasting to conclude for the day rather than seeking my strength from Him. Through the spiritual discipline of fasting He revealed and corrected skewed places in my heart.

The day came when I walked into Target and did not feel the need to buy and eat their popcorn (one thing I've really loved!). I was content just to enjoy the aroma. The moment surprised me... something had changed in me.

A few days after this moment came the call from the doctor's office. Glucose intolerant... decrease the carbohydrates you eat... check your blood sugar... schedule an appointment in three months...

My life was radically changed when it came to my eating habits. The diagnosis completely unexpected. After the shock wore off, my thoughts went to the last few months of struggling with fasting. My heart cried out... You knew this was coming...!

Yes, He knew and He prepared me for the change I would have to make.

He still prepares His people for what's coming. We just don't always understand.

The best we can do is listen, trust, and obey. Even when it doesn't make sense, and we feel a little crazy in the process.

Father God, thank You for preparing me for what is to come.
Bless me with the faith to trust and obey, even when I don't understand.
I want to be prepared.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment