Friday, January 8, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Verses: 1 Corinthians 3:1-8
Click on the link to read today's scripture.

This section of scripture contains a teaching that changes everything for me. It gives me peace. It sets me free.
So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. --- 1 Corinthians 3:7
I've spent so much time worrying and working to make things grow. I've wondered when my own kids were going to get it at times. I spent the first twelve years working at the church with teenagers. Many nights I went home praying for their growth. All the worrying and wondering was for nothing really because only God makes things grow.

We are called to plant and water... to pray and love. We are called to go and teach... give and obey. But the growing part must be left up to God. Say it with me...

Only God. Makes. Things. Grow.
Only God makes things grow!

There's freedom in those five words. Take time to be aware of those things you are trying to make grow on your own today. Give them to the one who really does make things grow.

Father God, You alone have the power to bring life and make it grow.
Bless me with the discernment to know when to plant, when to water,
and when to let go and trust You with the growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment