Thursday, January 21, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Verses: 1 Corinthians 7:25-40
Click on the link to read today's scripture.

Paul's instructions seem a little confusing. If you're not married but can't control yourself then marry. But, it's really best to remain single. Still, it is not a sin if you marry... and on... and on. I think what Paul is saying in all of this is simple: Time is short and everything we hold dear in this world is passing a way. We don't get to take it with us.

To Paul, marriage is something to be concerned about here on earth. It causes a person's attention to be divided between God and their spouse. If you could control your passion, then undivided attention towards God is the best choice.

It's not just marriage that divides our attention these days. Let's make a short list. Name five things that distract you from God today. Is it your phone or television? How about what you are reading? Where you hang out? Maybe it is time to reduce those daily things that get in the way of spending time with God or reading His Word. You don't have to do it all at once... just choose one.

Lord, show me the one thing I need to let go of --- the one thing distracting me from serving You wholeheartedly. If it is work, teach me to work for You and to serve others through work. If it is family, turn my heart toward doing all I can to place You at the center of my family life, leading all my loved ones to put You first. If it is money, remind me it is not mine; teach me to hold it loosely and willingly put it to work where You call me to. If my own desires of the flesh divide my heart when it comes to You, guide me in taking up my cross and following You.

And the world is passing away with its desires,
but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
1 John 2:17 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment