Monday, January 25, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Reading: 1 Corinthians 9:1-12
Click on the link to read today's scripture.

Paul takes time to defend himself to those who choose to judge. He asks about his own rights and it leaves me wondering... what rights do we really have? If we live within those rights will it stop others from judging. You know the answer to that question and so do I. No matter what our rights are, or what we do. If we are living and breathing, working and doing... somebody, somewhere will have something to say about it. It doesn't feel so great to be judged. Plain and simple, it causes lots of pain.

Over the years I've learned there is a far more important question. One which leads us to let go of what others think or say. A question I ask myself when the gavel of judgmental words ring in my ears.

"Where was my heart in this?"

When we are seeking God above all. When our hearts are turned towards him. The answer to the question gives us the freedom to continue on in the face of judgement. Sometimes, like Paul, we defend ourselves. Most often, we just have to keep on keeping on.

Lord, enable me to receive the judgments of others with a humble heart.
Remind me to bring any criticism to You first, so You can show me if it
is a legitimate issue in my heart. Turn my heart to care first and foremost
about Your judgment of me. You alone know what's in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment