Friday, January 15, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:1-11
Click on the link to read the verses.

Some within the church are arguing, even taking their disputes to court. Paul asks a simple question we must all answer at some point.


Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?
1 Corinthians 6:7 NIV

His point is this: Isn't it better to just concede than win in court against your brother or sister. I've said it many times over the years, "You can be a right fighter, and end up with no relationship at all." In other words, what's so great about being right if you ruin the relationship with another. Do you get to take your "right" with you when you die? I believe we only take two things... love of God... love of others.

What would happen if we decided to choose relationship over rightness? Honestly, there are times when laying my right down doesn't change the situation. Times I've lost the relationship anyway. It doesn't change my way of thinking on this. I would rather love God and love others than be right about all the things in all the world.

Is it time for you to let go of being right about something? Do it today!

Lord, teach me to honor my relationship with You and with others
ahead of my own desire to be right. You were crucified for my wrongs,
everybody's wrongs, and were the only One of us who was right.
Only You can bless me with the love to lay down my life, my way, for a friend.

"...Greater love has no one than this,
that someone lay down his life for his friends. ..." ---Jesus
John 15:13 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment