Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Verses: 1 Corinthians 4:1-11
Click on the link to read today's verses.

My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.
1 Corinthians 4:4

I just had one of those epiphany moments. One of those moments when something sort of just comes together like the last puzzle piece fitting just right. Let me see if I can put it into words.

Jesus had a clear conscience because He was innocent. No sin... nothing to feel guilty about. It is different for us. We sin, feel guilty, and hopefully we repent. This is the mystery of grace and the work Jesus did on the cross. The problem is we never feel innocent again, and so there might just be lingering guilt. In other words, we don't have to continue to feel guilty over not being innocent anymore.

We will never be innocent again. Sin took that from us, but we can have a clear conscience. How does that happen? When we claim the name of Jesus in the face of guilt. When we repent from those things that crop up in our lives that separate us from God. In Him --- not ourselves--- we are righteous! This gives me reason to celebrate!

Lord Jesus, thank You for making a way for me to have a clear conscience
without innocence. Thank You for the mystery of grace.
Teach me to walk in Your grace and to readily offer it to others in Your name!

No comments:

Post a Comment