Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Scripture: 1 Corinthians 10:1-10
Click on the link to read today's Scripture.

I just finished reading the Exodus story and I didn't get it. I didn't see the connection to Christ until I read these verses in Corinthians today. One people following Moses through the sea, eating manna in the desert... drinking water from a rock. All along the way the people committed idolatry and indulged their flesh in ways God did not like. I noticed one sin continued on even after Moses died... grumbling and complaining. They often complained out loud, "We were better off in Egypt as slaves." We're bent to be complainers. It is so easy to find the negative in any situation. From the days of Moses up until this day, we are grumbling people.

Grumbling doesn't change who we are as a people. We too walk through the baptismal waters, we eat the body broken for us... drink blood shed for us. When the people had a chance to believe the good report and move into the Promise Land they didn't. Instead they listened to the spy's negative words and made them their own and didn't enter the land. God scattered their bodies as they wandered around in the desert for forty years that should have only taken a couple of weeks. It makes me wonder. What would have happened if they would have seen the positive side? What could have been different if they chose to praise instead of complain?

Could it be the same for us? Is our complaining and grumbling keeping us from crossing the Jordan into our own Promised Land? What would happen if we just stopped? God has given us the freedom to praise Him in the face of any circumstance. He has blessed us with the ability to see good in all things. This is our challenge. May we move from this day forward praising Him in our homes, work, community,and church.

Father God, forgive my grumbling and complaining, because
when I grumble, I complain about what You're doing in my life.
Your sovereignty in all things, brings what it wills into my life,
and You intend it all to be used for my good, the forming of
my character into that of Your Son.
Today I choose to give thanks... in all circumstances...

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment