Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Thessalonians

Today's Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, and to make it your
ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work
with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect
of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians 4:10-12

There are just some seasons in life that seem loud. I'm in the middle of one of those right now. The middle son is graduating in two days. It's been a joy to send out announcements and attend parties. We've planned a great family dinner, relatives are coming for the celebration and the list of things to do is still growing. It is truly a beautiful time... but it is a bit noisy around here.

Seasons of noise come and go, but if our lives seem stuck with the volume knob turned to ten it might be time to take a serious look at Paul's words. Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life. The world we live in just doesn't like quiet. Silence often leaves us feeling like we are missing something and it takes a little practice to find comfort in the midst of no sound.

Let's take some time today to be still and quiet before the Lord. Find a place to sit and just be. Consider your own thoughts in the light of His Spirit. Listen to what God is speaking into your heart. Relish in the thought that you are a daughter or son of the Most High. You are loved and cherished... the apple of His eye. You are His.

Lord, I still my mind so I can hear You.
I still my heart so I can sense Your presence.
I still my will so I can give this time to You.
Speak Lord, for I am listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment