Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Philippians

Today's Scripture: Philippians 1:19-30
(No Bible handy? Just click on the link to read today's verses.)

"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." ---Philippians 1:21

I have a confession to make. Yesterday, I caught myself complaining. The complaint was real but I didn't really need to share my discomfort with the whole room. I'm driving home when that still, small voice reminds me my comfort is not that important. Not something I needed to share in the moment.

I realize Paul is talking about death here. He's pointing out that literal death would be his gain. Paul's words go much deeper than the literal. Everyday we have a choice to die to self and gain Christ. My complaining was all about me and the Spirit gently reminded me I must die when it comes to my wants, my needs, my comfort. This death is the place where we gain Christ in so many ways.

Each day we can choose to nail our discomfort, needs, and desires to the cross. When we choose to pour out ourselves for the sake of Christ and others, we gain mercy, grace and love. Have you found yourself complaining lately? Maybe like me, you've been focused more on your own comfort and desires than Jesus. Hammer those things to the cross, consider them death... and gain Jesus.

Lord, as long as I live in this body, may I continually be gaining You
through death of my self. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment