Friday, May 27, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Thessalonians

Today's Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:5
(Click on the link to read the scripture.)

We sent Timothy, who is our brother and co-worker in God's service in spreading
the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, so that no one
would be unsettled by these trials. For you know quite well that we are 
destined for them. In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you 
that we would be persecuted.
1 Thessalonians 3:2-4

Unsettled... the word sort of sticks in my spirit this morning. Webster's defines the word as "nervous, upset, or worried; not comfortable."  When I find a word in scripture that sort of floats up to the top I begin to ask myself questions.

Am I feeling unsettled about something lately?

What am I worried or upset or nervous about?

Where am I uncomfortable?

This is how God works in me. He asks the questions and I answer... truth is revealed. Won't you take a moment and do the same? What things come to mind as you answer the questions? Is there a common theme in your answers?

Paul's words are clear. We are destined for trials and there's no getting around them. The big question is not what trials are we facing, but how is it with our spirit. How are we handling them? What is our reaction in the face of persecution and trouble? Life is full of unsettling circumstances but it doesn't have to unsettle us. He is our calm in the storm... our comfort in the uncomfortable. May we choose peace in the face of upset and worry this day.

Father God, when I sense an unsettling in my spirit, in my heart,
remind me to bring it to You. You are never unsettled by anything,
nothing ever surprises You or catches You off guard.
You are in control and have purpose for all You allow in my life...
even those things that seem unsettling. You are my Rock,
the foundation of my life. You keep my life on solid ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment