Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Philippians

Today's Scripture: Philippians 3:12-4:1
(No Bible handy? Click on the link to read today's Word.)

Have you ever had one of those conversations with someone that sort of takes you by surprise? It happened to me yesterday. It wasn't a disagreement or bad conversation. My friend was sharing her heart about some things that have happened to me in the last few months. When I left... well my mind started churning. I waded through thoughts of how I handled things and if I could have... should have done something different. I remembered the hurt and anger and pain. Frustration rose up in me and in the time it takes to walk about 100 feet my entire attitude was different.

You've been there right? Reliving... rehashing... over and over... and to what end? Honestly, there is never an end to this kind of thinking, and it won't change what has happened. Paul has a great way of putting me in my place.

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on...---Philippians 3:13-14

Paul knew what he was saying. This was the man who held coats for those who stoned Stephen. At one point his very goal in life was to completely stop the message of Christ. His past could have kept him from moving forward. So can ours. There is only one thing to do when I find myself living in the past... forget. Forget what is behind me and strain toward what is ahead.

Have you been caught up in something from your past lately? Today is the day to let it go, lay it down, forget it. May we press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Father God, help me to remember, in Your sovereignty,
You are bigger than my past mistakes, failure, and sin.
You alone work all things for the good of those who love You
and are called according to Your purpose.
Lord, I love You, and long for You to use all of me for Your purpose,
even my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment