Thursday, May 26, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Thessalonians

Today's Reading: 1 Thessalonians 2:1-16
(Click on the link to read the Scripture.)

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God,
which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is,
the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.
1 Thessalonians 2:13

Lately I've had a few encounters which revealed how others in my life view God's Word. Just a few days ago one of my own and I were discussing an issue. He was struggling and a Scripture settled in my heart. I spoke it out loud to him and his response... well let's just say it was a little disheartening. I get it really. He's just not there yet. It is tough to rely on a book full of words when you haven't quite come to terms with the fact that these are not human words.

The very same day I'm teaching second and third graders about the Bible. I begin to explain to them how when I was just a little older than they, I became hungry for His Word. I still remember the first Bible I began to take notes in, and another one I used through the hard times in my young adult life. From as early as I can remember, holding a Bible in my hands stirred up awe inside of me. For me, these are not human words, they are God's words and God has proven faithful through His Word too many times to count.

Have you considered what you really believe about God's Word? Have you accepted these are not mere human words? If so, how is God using His Word to work in and through you?

Lord, open my heart to Your Word. I want to know without a doubt
it is Your Word. Bless me with the faith to test Your Word in my life
through obedience to what it says. I love You and want to know You.
Thank You for the Bible so those of us who seek You can find You.

No comments:

Post a Comment