Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Colossians

Today's Reading: Colossians 1:24 - 2:5
(Click on the link to read the verses for the day.)

Paul sheds a little light on his vision when it comes to the people he serves.

And He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ. ---Colossians 1:28

Paul's vision when it comes to Believers is clear... to present everyone fully mature in Christ. Years ago before we moved into our new church building I began to ask myself, "What is the vision or goal for the children here at our church?" This was no simple task and I did not take it lightly. There were so many choices out there. Literature, books, and conferences gave tons of great information and ideas. I couldn't quite figure out which way to go. God just kept prompting me..."What one thing would you want kids to know who participate in any part of the children's ministry?"  It took me some time, but I finally put it into words and wrote it down. It has not changed since that day and it helps me to focus all areas of ministry in the same direction whether Sunday School, summer camp, or Wednesday afternoons.

Proverbs reminds us: "Where there is no vision the people perish..." You've heard the saying "running around like chickens with their heads cut off"? This is the picture of people with no vision. The kicker is most of us have goals or visions for our finances, our careers, our marriages. We have goals for retirement and our children, but what about our spiritual vision? Could you answer, if asked, "What is your goal for Bible study... or prayer... or spiritual growth?" Where is the focus when it comes to spiritual maturity? Friends, I would love to say attending church once a week will bring you to maturity in Christ, but I can't. Church is important but as followers of Christ we must take responsibility for our own spiritual growth and maturity.

It all begins by setting a goal. Where do you want your prayer life to be in a year? How about Bible study? What do you want your relationship with Christ to be like next month, or year, or decade? Ask God to give you vision... write it down... tell someone.

Our youth are listening to a new song lately in the Christian music world. It seems new to them, but it's not. The original was published in 1912, and again by Abingdon Press in 1964. The writer understood vision when they wrote:

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
naught be all else to me, save that thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
waking or sleeping thy presence my light.

Want to hear the "new" version? Just click on the link below.


Father God, bless me with vision for my spiritual growth.
Fix my eyes and thoughts on things above, not on the things of this earth.
Let Your vision for my life be my vision for my life.
In the precious name of Jesus, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment