Friday, May 20, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Colossians

Today's Reading: Colossians 3:1-17
(Click on the link to read the scripture.)
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.---Colossians 3:2
This may surprise some of you. I remember when I realized it for the first time. It was one of life's turning points for me. Here it is... we have the power within us to control our thought life. This Scripture points directly to the fact. Paul says, "Set your mind..."

Sometimes we don't realize it. I've heard it said, "I can't help what I think." Other times thoughts spin out of control before we even notice, but when we recognize through Christ we have authority over our thoughts it is life changing.

In Corinthians Paul writes, "...we take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ." The Message puts it this way:
...fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.---2 Corinthians 10:5
It's not an easy task... learning to grab hold of thoughts and place them under submission. It takes a lot of practice. As you go about your day may you become more aware of the thoughts you have. Set those thoughts on things above. Allow the Spirit to literally change your mind.

Lord, make me aware of my thought life.
Teach me how to set my mind on things above.
Enlighten me with Your Word that I may increase
my understanding and ability to discern 
between things above and earthly matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment