Friday, May 13, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Colossians

Today's Verses: Colossians 1:1-14
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

It's Friday and we end the week with the beginning of Colossians. Reading the first few verses gives us a little insight into the Believers who lived there. Paul calls them faithful... lovers of God's people.

I wonder what Paul would write about me, about you, about us as a church. Would he call us faithful? loving? It is something to think about and it may leave us squirming in our pews. I've worked over twenty years in our church and been a member my entire life. There are times I've been faithful and times I've given up. I've loved and been loved... I've failed at love many times.

There is one thing I have learned: the only one I can control... the only one who has the power to choose faith and love... is me. I can choose to have faith in the good times and the hard times. I can choose love in the face of adversity. And when I fail... I can choose repentance.

Have you been choosing faith and love lately? Are you finding faith hard in the midst of a tough circumstance? Is there someone you cannot love on your own? You may see this as a problem... I see opportunity. These are the places where God has the opportunity to do His greatest work. All we have to do is ask.

Lord, fill me with the knowledge of Your will through all wisdom
and understanding that the Spirit gives, so I may live a life worthy of You
and pleasing to You in every way. 
(Colossians 1:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment