Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Thessalonians

Today's Reading: 1 Thessalonians 1
(No Bible handy? Just click on the Scripture reference above.)

My Bible study sisters and I just finished an in depth study on Thessalonians by Beth Moore. It was a wonderful time of growth and sharing. I am excited to finish this month's devotions concentrating on this book.

Scholars think this may be the first letter Paul wrote to a group of Believers. He was forced to leave this fledgling church in a hurry and you can feel his love and care for them through his words. At the very beginning of our study Beth had us do something that felt quite uncomfortable. She challenged us to use Paul's words when we addressed each other throughout the week. So the greeting would go something like this...

" Hello, sister loved by God" or "Good Morning, brother loved by God."

We study together on Fridays and I all but forgot about the challenge over the weekend. I'm in the back room of the shop getting ready for the work day and setting up the machines when Carol walks in and says...

"Good morning, sister loved by God."

It sort of took my breath away. It is not that I don't believe God loves me, but something about hearing it out loud from someone else took me by surprise. This greeting changes perspectives. It reminds us we are loved by God and the person we are talking to is loved by God. When we think of this first... it changes things.

So, let me extend the challenge to you. Some time today before you say hello to someone or write the greeting of an e-mail consider using these words... sister or brother loved by God. Yes it feels weird, but it might just be the one thing someone needs to hear today.

We love hearing from you... how God is working in your life through Beyond the Gospels. Won't you share your challenge experience with us in the comment box at the bottom of this screen? To find it from email or on the blog, click the post title then scroll to the bottom.

Thank You, Lord, for loving me.
Help me to remember Your love for me and for others
by greeting those in my circle as sisters and brothers loved by You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment