Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's verses: Acts 11:19-30
(Click on the link to read today's Scripture.)
It was in Antioch that the disciples were for the first time called Christians.
I've considered myself a Christian for as long as I can remember. I wonder what it was like for the disciples to be called this for the first time. It wasn't some name they came up with on their own. It was the name given to them by others... by those who observed their group.

Webster's definition of Christian is one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Do those who observe us on a daily basis find reason to call us Christian? Do they notice something different in us? It is so much more than professing a belief. Those are just words. It's the living it out that draws others to Him. It's loving when the world teaches hate, and becoming last when the world pushes us to be first. When we lay our selves down for the sake of another, others will notice.

How are you living out your profession in Christ these days? 

Lord Jesus, teach me to live in a way where others
see You in me. May others readily ask me, 
"Are you a Christian?" because of the way I live.

"... I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity
that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them
as much as you love me. ..." --- Jesus praying to His Father for His disciples
John 17:23 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment