Monday, September 7, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Verses: Acts 10:34-48
(Don't have your Bible close by? Just click on the link above.)

It's Sunday and I've waited later than usual to write this week's devotional. The first few verses hold the message I heard just a few hours ago in worship.
Peter fairly exploded with his good news: “It’s God’s own truth, nothing could be plainer: God plays no favorites! It makes no difference who you are or where you’re from — if you want God and are ready to do as he says, the door is open.
"God shows no favoritism," the preacher said this morning, as he read from the book of James.
My dear friends, don’t let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. If a man enters your church wearing an expensive suit, and a street person wearing rags comes in right after him, and you say to the man in the suit, “Sit here, sir; this is the best seat in the house!” and either ignore the street person or say, “Better sit here in the back row,” haven’t you segregated God’s children and proved that you are judges who can’t be trusted?
 Listen, dear friends. Isn’t it clear by now that God operates quite differently? He chose the world’s down-and-out as the kingdom’s first citizens, with full rights and privileges. This kingdom is promised to anyone who loves God. --- James 2: 1-7
Two times in the span of a few hours gets me to thinking. Have I been playing favorites lately? Am I drawn to those who look and act like me? Have I turned from those who are down and out?

Our preacher challenged us this morning to treat everyone the same this week... to show no favoritism. Join me as I take up the challenge.

Father God, Your door is open to everyone who wants You
and is ready to do Your will. Help me to see everyone as one to be honored.
Teach me to treat everyone with the same respect, grace, and love.
Thank You, for opening Your door to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment