Monday, September 28, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 18:1-17
[Take time to read the passage before the devotional. Click the reference to read The Message online.]

What is it about the message of Jesus that causes such different reactions?

Many were contentious with Paul, arguing with him when he shared the truth. They saw this new Way as a threat to what they knew, to what gave them power and place in their community.

A great many listened and received. They believed and were baptized.

Then there was the governor. He had no time for religious disputes. It was all nonsense to him.

What is it about the Message?

It might not be so much about the Message or even the messenger, but more about those who are hearing it. Jesus said:

"... No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. ..."
John 6:44 ESV

The Father is the one who draws people to the Son. He prepares hearts, times, and places for belief to happen. No one can come to Jesus unless...

This is an important issue to me, because I have loved ones who do not believe. Those who can be contentious regarding the Good News, and others who are just too entrenched in the world, it's all nonsense to them.

This raises serious questions for me. Why doesn't Father God draw everyone to Jesus? Why isn't every heart prepared to receive Him the moment they hear the good news the first time? 

I don't know. But I do know He is good and just and always right.
I know He doesn't want anyone to perish.
I know He loves every one He has created.

"...For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son
and believes in him should have eternal life... " --- Jesus
John 6:19 ESV

The Father wills for everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him to have eternal life.

Maybe those I love who have not come to a saving faith, been born again, haven't actually taken the time to see the Son so they could believe? 

Whatever the cause, I trust Father God with what He's doing. And in the mean time, I pray for those I love who argue or ignore the Gospel Message, asking the Father to prepare the way, to draw them in...

"Ask and it will be given to you..." ---Jesus
Matthew 7:7 ESV

Father God, help me to wait as You prepare the way
to draw those I love to Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment