Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Beyond the Gospel: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 13:31-52
[The link above will take you to the passage, if you don't have a Bible with you.]

'You'll never let your Holy One see death's rot and decay.'
Acts 13:35 Msg

Jesus, the Holy One, did not experience death's rot and decay. His Believers, His followers, receive the same promise.

"... My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish..." ---Jesus
John 10:28 ESV

Those who follow Jesus, keep His commandments and follow the Holy Spirit, will not experience rot and decay, only eternal life. When our way of life is His way of life, we will not see death.

However, there is more than one death, more than one kind of rot and decay. Sin starts all sorts of things decaying in our lives even before we die our physical death. When we follow our own spirits, our own hearts, our own desires apart from God, we can begin the process of death.

Death of relationships.
Death of opportunities.
Death of hopes and dreams.
Death of joy and peace.

Sin. Following the world or your own heart. Brings rot and decay right into the middle of your life. And you will find yourself in a big stinking mess.

Nothing comes from sin but death.

Temptation is attractive. It promises lots of happiness. But remember, temptation's call comes from the mouth of a liar who only wants to steal your life.

Jesus promises life abundant. Here and now. He tells us straight up.

"... The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.
I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. ..."
John 10:10 ESV

God the Father does not let His holy ones see death and decay. His holy ones are the ones who follow His Son.

You don't have to experience the stench of death in your life.
Trust the only One who is the true source of Life abundant.
Jesus.

Father God, lead me not into temptation but deliver me from the evil one.
Bless me with the discernment and faith to choose Your Way. Teach me
to follow Jesus. Show me what it means to take up my cross and follow Him.
I do not want to see rot and decay in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment