Friday, September 11, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 12:20-13:12
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

That was the last straw. God had had enough of Herod’s arrogance and sent an angel to strike him down. Herod had given God no credit for anything.

I was listening to a talk show recently where a man called in to voice his belief that there was no Creator. I wasn't offended by the man's view. I've heard it before. What did amaze me was his attitude toward those who choose to believe in a created world. I'm one of those believers. I changed the station feeling a bit peeved at the one who claimed I was uneducated and naïve to believe such a thing. I had had enough of the program.

I don't really feel a need to defend my stance. I believe God created and that's that. I choose to give Him all the credit. This verse reminds me the battle belongs to God. It is not my job to convince arrogance. Instead I choose prayer.

I prayed for the man on the radio. I asked God to reveal His truth to him, to give him more time to come to a real understanding of creation. Is there someone in your life who needs truth revealed? Go to God and ask.
Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. Elijah, for instance, human just like us, prayed hard that it wouldn’t rain, and it didn’t—not a drop for three and a half years. Then he prayed that it would rain, and it did. The showers came and everything started growing again.
 My dear friends, if you know people who have wandered off from God’s truth, don’t write them off. Go after them. Get them back and you will have rescued precious lives from destruction and prevented an epidemic of wandering away from God. ---James 5:16-20 Msg
Through prayer we are a power to be reckoned with.

Lord, pour grace in my heart for those who are lost, even when they
act rude and arrogant. Put words of prayer in my mouth,
that they might be saved from wandering.

No comments:

Post a Comment