Thursday, September 10, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 12:1-19
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

The miracle that happened seemed like a dream to Peter. It does to me too. Still, something caught
my attention in these verses. Take a look at the last sentence.
Fed up with Judea and Jews, he went for a vacation to Caesarea.
I must admit I'm smiling. Herod plotting and killing, all to increase his ratings. For Herod this was not about religion, it was about politics. He wanted to be popular among the Jews and his plan was working. Well, it worked for a moment anyway.

Peter's in jail facing execution, sleeping like a baby. God enters the scene and walks with Peter to freedom. Guards are baffled, beheaded, and Herod is fed up. Throwing up his hands in frustration, he takes a vacation.

I love it! Nothing, not one thing, can thwart God's plan for His people. This is something to smile about, laugh out loud even. For God is sovereign and He reigns over all things!

I praise You, Lord, for the freedom of living in Your sovereignty.
Freedom from worry, freedom from shame, freedom from fear.
Even in the face of very real danger, I am free to trust in You,
Lord of lords and King of kings!

No comments:

Post a Comment