Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Challenge -- Day 120

Today's Scripture: Luke 20:1-26
(Click on the link to read today's scripture.)

Authority was the issue in these verses. Who gave you authority? Whose authority should we come under? Do we have to pay taxes if we believe in God?

Webster's defines authority this way:
:the power to give orders or make decisions : the power or right to direct or control someone or something 
: the confident quality of someone who knows a lot about something or who is respected or obeyed by other people
I've experienced positive authority figures in my life and negative ones as well. I've had issues coming under authority at times. And goodness, who wouldn't want to decrease the amount they pay in taxes. The bigger issue is giving God the things that are God's. Unlike human authority, God will never demand His children to give Him what belongs to Him. He will never collect in any way that which leaves us broke or broken. Instead He gives us opportunities to offer back the blessings He bestows on us.

Have you made your offering today? I'm not just talking about money. What about time... energy... talents?

Lord, one day we will all be held accountable to You as the Ultimate Authority, 
bless me with the understanding of what that means now. 
Loosen my grip on the things of this world: money, time, energy. 
Help me to remember it is not mine, but simply a loan from You. 
Free me to live wholeheartedly under Your authority for the rest of my days. 
Everything I have and am is Yours.

"...Freely you have received, freely give. ..." ---Jesus
Matthew 10:8 NASB95

No comments:

Post a Comment