Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Challenge -- Day 116

Today's Scripture: Luke 18:9-30
(Don't have a bible close at hand? Click on the link to read the verses.)

The Pharisee, the rich young ruler, and Peter had one thing in common. They had a list to justify righteousness.

...I fast twice a week.
...I give a tenth of my income.
...I've never murdered or committed adultery.
...I've kept the Sabbath and have no idols.
...I honor my parents.
...I have kept the commandments since I was young.
...Look, I left my home to follow you Jesus.

Jesus wants more than a checklist of good things we do. Doing good things without considering our own hearts just leads to pride. Jesus says be like a child or the tax collector... Neither were considered esteemed in their day. Both wanted to be near Jesus. Consider your own heart. Are you making a list or crying out for mercy?

Father God, You don't look at my deeds or works,
You look at my heart, my motive, my desire for You.
Continue to work in me until my whole heart pleases You.


And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul and with all your mind
and with all your strength.
Mark 12:30

No comments:

Post a Comment