Friday, March 25, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Galatians

Today's Scripture: Galatians 1:1-10
(Click on the link to read today's Scripture.)
...who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age...  ---vs. 4
I went to eat lunch with some mini-Methodists this week, and we were discussing Good Friday. They were excited about not going to school, and telling of their plans for the day. I asked them what Good Friday means and the one across the table chimes in part of the explanation... with wonder and excitement in her eyes she says, "My dad just told me last night!" Oh that we all might have the same enthusiasm on this day. May something today fill our hearts with new wonder of the story we've heard so many times.

The sweet brown-eyed girl sitting next to me says, "I think they should call it Sad Friday." I've had the same thought---what's so good about Good Friday?

This evening we'll gather for worship and we'll hear the story we've heard lots of times. We'll watch as lights dim and Jesus journeys to Golgatha. Tears might fall as we consider His pain and suffering, the torture He endured, the blood running down from a thorny crown. Sadness covers those hours Jesus spent on the cross. It is too sad to watch (even on television). My little friend was right... this is a sad day.

It is a different kind of sadness though. It is sort of a happy sad... happy tears in a way. For today is the day that begins the saving of the whole wide world. Without this day there would be no resurrection. Without death no life. This is the day I love to say...

It's Friday but SUNDAY'S A COMIN'

(e-mail subscribers can view the video by clicking on the link below.)

Lord Jesus, thank You for giving Yourself for my sins.
Thank You for delivering me from this evil age
that I may walk free, in the power of Your Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment