Thursday, March 24, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Scripture: 2 Corinthians 13
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. ---2 Corinthians 13:5
Self-examination is one of the most important spiritual disciplines we can practice. I'm pretty sure it is also the hardest. Taking an honest look at ourselves can be well... yuck. Still the Scriptures encourage us to do so.
Create in me a clean heart O God; and renew a right spirit within me. ---Ps 51:10
Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.---Ps 139: 23-24
Opening up our hearts to the Spirit and allowing God to search us, test us, try us might make us a little anxious. At least it makes me anxious. I don't really want God to see what's REALLY going on in my heart when it comes to certain circumstances. There are times I would rather just hang on to my bad attitude or judgmental spirit or anger.

It's Thursday... Maundy Thursday. We will gather for worship this evening and think of Jesus with the disciples. How He washed their feet... gave His body, His blood. Have you ever had someone you know, someone close to you wash your feet? (The person giving you a pedicure doesn't count.) For me it causes all types of discomfort. I become completely absorbed in the condition of my feet. Do they smell? How dirty are they? Are my toenails painted neatly? I could wash someone's feet pretty easily, but not the other way around. I don't want someone to have to touch all that ick. I'll just do it myself, but thanks for the offer.

Allowing God to search our hearts, thoughts, attitudes and actions is a lot like foot washing. We don't want Jesus to go there... it is too dirty for a King. It's better if we just clean our own selves up right? Uh... no... not even possible. The disciples had to allow Jesus to wash their feet just like we must allow Him to search us... examine us... test us. When we do, healing follows and we find ourselves free... for those whom the Son sets free, are free indeed!

Lord, prepare my heart to be examined by You.
I know You already know what's in there; the examination is for my benefit.
Reveal what's in my heart, what I need to deal with to draw closer to You, 
to follow You better, to share Your love and grace with others
the same way You do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment