Thursday, March 10, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Reading: 2 Corinthians 7:2-16
(Click on the link to read today's Scripture.)
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.--vs. 10
I have this tendency to feel guilty. I can beat myself up over something I've done, some sin in my life for years. In my early walk I would lay in the bed each night and think back over my day. I would look for any area of sin and beg forgiveness from God. Guilt and condemnation were my best friends. It is one of the greatest works of the enemy. And like this Scripture says, worldly sorrow brings death.

It took me a long time to distinguish between Holy Spirit conviction and worldly sorrow. I can say with full confidence today that when God brings me to repentance there is no guilt... no condemnation. God is just not that way. He doesn't forgive us for something and hold it over us for the rest of our lives. We do a good job of that all on our own. His will for us is freedom, and regret only serves to keep us imprisoned.

It's been years since I've made a sin list at the end of the day. His Word says He will never leave us nor forsake us. He won't leave us alone in our circumstances and situations. He won't leave us to ourselves... our own sin either. He is faithful to reveal it in His time, in a way which leads me and you to salvation. This my friends is freedom, and those who the Son sets free are free indeed!

Lord, You know where I've allowed guilt and regret to paralyze me in my tracks. You know where worldly sorrow is bringing death to areas of my faith. Teach me about godly sorrow, the sorrow leading to repentance, salvation, and freedom. 

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus
from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:1-2 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment