Thursday, March 3, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Corinthians

Today's Reading: 2 Corinthians 4:7-18
(No Bible handy? Click on the link to read today's verses.)

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen,
since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I'm writing this just one day after a visit to the voting polls. Election year has just begun and I'm already frustrated by what I see. I don't watch or listen to the news much because it just seems everyone is shouting their opinions and perspectives. I visit a few websites and narrow it down some, but in the end nothing I've read or discussed or heard feels right. All this "seeing" just left me a bit confused. I'm in a bit of a pickle so the saying goes, and in that moment I ask, "God, what is your way for me in this?" 

Reading Paul's words this morning reminded me that a simple prayer for help in a decision has eternal significance. Every moment... every decision gives us an opportunity to fix our eyes on the seen or unseen. 

What areas of your life are you most likely to fix your eyes on what is seen? Take a moment to consider the unseen in those areas.

Lord Jesus, keep my eyes fixed on the eternal, the unseen,
because everything else is just temporary.
Teach me to focus on faith, hope, love,
not politics, the economy, or war.
I want to live a life of eternal significance,
reveal the unseen behind what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment