Thursday, August 3, 2017

Songs of Praise: Psalm 77

Let's read together Psalm 77.
(Click on the link to read today's Scripture. You might even read it out loud.)

The psalms we've been reading lately have a rhythm about them. The writer in need, expressing his longing for God to come and save.

I cried out to God for help;
I cried out to God to hear me.
When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
at night I stretched out untiring hands,
and I would not be comforted.
Psalm 77:1-2

A question arises from the mouth of the psalmist.

"Will the Lord reject forever?
Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
Has his promise failed for all time?
Has God forgotten to be merciful?
Has he in anger withheld his compassion?"
Psalm 77:7-9

Somewhere along the way, the focus shifts from the problem to the Problem Solver. It doesn't seem the answer has come or the circumstance has changed. But you can almost feel the writer's heart lift as God comforts.

The waters saw you, God,
the waters saw you and writhed;
the very depths were convulsed.
The clouds poured down water,
the heavens resounded with thunder;
your arrows flashed back and forth.
Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind,
your lightning lit up the world;
the earth trembled and quaked.
Your path led through the sea,
your way through the mighty waters,
though your footprints were not seen.
Psalm 77:16-19

The writer gives a hint today as to how it happens.

"...I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will consider all your work
and meditate on all your mighty deeds.
Psalm 77:11-12

Remembering is a gift. A beautiful, wonderful gift of grace. As we consider God's work and meditate on His mighty deeds, our hearts turn toward Him as we question and struggle and call out for help.

Remember His work today. The mighty acts of His saving grace. 

Remember... and give thanks.

Thank You Lord, for the gift of remembering.
Thank You for Your Word where I read Your mighty deeds.
Remind me, You are the same now as then.
Remind me of the works You've done for me.
Open my heart to trust You to continue to work
mightily in my life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment