Thursday, October 1, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 19:21-41
(No Bible handy? Just click on the link to read today's verses.)

So the idol makers were not happy. In fact, they began a riot that soon grew to something dangerous. Many were yelling, screaming, and angry. There in verse 33 it catches my attention...

Some were yelling one thing, some another.
Most of them had no idea what was going on or why they were there.

I wonder, are there times I've taken up a cause or stance with no idea what was going on? Have I ended up in some place with no understanding of why I was there? It is easy to get caught up in something and allow our emotions to take control. Pretty soon we end up in a place we never intended to be.

Is there something you find yourself emotional about lately? Does it feel out of control at times? The good news is emotions do not have to rule our lives... bring us to unknown places. Our  response to them may just be acknowledging we have them and trusting them to the One who gave them to us in the first place. 

Father God, protect my heart against stirred up emotions: mine and others.
Teach me to take the time to identify the source of the agitation.
Give me the questions to ask in order to discover what is really going on.
I long to be a source of peace, and not one who gets stirred up by others
when I'm really unsure about the truth behind the emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment