Thursday, October 22, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 27:13-38
(Click on the link to read the scriptures.)
Friends, you really should have listened to me back in Crete. We could have avoided all this trouble and trial. But there’s no need to dwell on that now. From now on, things are looking up!
I love the good news in Paul's statement. It is so easy to get caught up in the "would of, should of, could of" game. Play it long enough and it feels like you are a hamster running on a wheel, never going anywhere. Paul is blunt reminding them this could have been avoided, but what he says next I often need to say to myself.

"There's no need to dwell on it now!" No need to think of what I would have done differently, or should have done, or could have done. No need to run on the hamster wheel. No need because things are looking up.

Paul encouraged them to eat breakfast, to break bread together, to give thanks for their rescue.  A rescue that had not even happened yet. Let's take a lesson from Paul. Let's give up on the dwelling and give praise for those things God is doing and will do.

Father God, I've learned there is no "what if" only "what is."
In the "what is" is where You are and where You are working.
Help me to stay focused on the present and not the past;
to be thankful and put my hope in the future You have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment