Friday, October 2, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 20:1-16
(Read today's verses by clicking on the link.)

Right at the end of these verses we read, "Things went according to plan." Most of what we read about Paul and the happenings of the new church don't go according to plan. It is like a breath of fresh air right in the middle of it all. Everything sort of just fell into place. Still, this wasn't the norm for Paul, the disciples, the early church. Why do we expect it to be the norm for us? What would happen if we began expecting life to never go according to plan?

Not a type of cynicism so to speak, but more of an expectation that God is in control. Over the last few months I've said this scripture to myself... said it to those I love.

A man’s heart plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Making plans is not the problem, in fact it is the way of the wise. The problem happens when we want our plan on our terms. We want it to happen on our time in our way. We may plan it but we must remember that God is in control and He is the one who directs each step of each day. 

Father God, help me to remember, even in the midst of my plans,
You are in control. May I receive the steps You bring about with joy.
Continue to remind me, You have a purpose in all things You allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment