Monday, July 11, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Philemon

Today's Reading: Philemon 1-7
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your
understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ.
Philemon 6

Older kids have often asked the question, "Mrs. Stacy, can you be a Christian on an island all by yourself?" Most often they are looking for an excuse to not be in fellowship with other believers... not come to church. I smile and answer, "No!" I don't really mean it in that way. Yes, you can be a believer on an island by yourself. But, we are not on an island, and rarely by ourselves.

We live in community with each other. This is who God is. A perfect community of Father, Son, and Spirit. He calls us to live in community: church, family, and friendship. Paul talks about his prayer for effective partnership. Partnerships grounded in Christ deepen our understanding of who God is and who we are. Do you have a faith partner? Someone who continually encourages you to grow in Christ? If not, begin today asking God to provide this kind of relationship in your life.

Father God, bless me with a faith partner, someone to walk the Way of Jesus with.
Someone to help me understand the good things of Christ more deeply,
to challenge me in my faith, and keep me accountable to what I say I believe.
Open my heart to recognize this person when You bring them into my life.
Bless me with the boldness to invite them into a Christ-centered relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment