Thursday, July 28, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Scripture: Hebrews 8
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

"...This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time,
declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them
on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbor; or say to one another,
'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."

Hebrews 8:10-12

I can't imagine what it must have been like under the Old Covenant. Having no direct access to the Father... no Bible to hold in my hand... no Spirit speaking to my heart. Can you imagine sacrificing animals time and time again to pay for your sin. It was messy business. We are New Covenant people. The very people God spoke of in these Old Testament words. Last week the young ones at Bible camp memorized a scripture. 

I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. 
Psalm 119:11

Let us not become complacent living under the New Covenant. We must continue to seek Him in His Word... hide it in our hearts. It is our privilege to tune into the promptings and teaching of the Spirit, to seek repentance in our sin... to know the Lord. Let's remember today to live as New Covenant people and grab hold of the joy it brings.

Open my heart to Your Spirit, Lord,
to know You, to learn from You, to rest in Your grace.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation...
Psalm 51:12

No comments:

Post a Comment