Thursday, July 21, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Verses: Hebrews 4:14-5:10

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses,
but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are ---
yet he did not sin.
Hebrews 4:15

This is one of the most comforting verses found in Scripture. Jesus is fully God, fully human. A man capable of sin, but chose no sin.  A man subject to desires like us, hunger, disappointment, weariness, sadness. Just. Like. Us. When I think about it, really ponder it, I am filled with praise. God didn't have to wrap himself in flesh and walk among us, but He did. He did it so that we might know He understands, He's been there... done that.

Whatever we come up against in this life, we are not alone in it. Our God comes even now in this moment assuring us we are never alone. Praise be to God!

As a father has compassion on his children,
so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
Psalm 103:13-14 NIV

Prayer Challenge:
Think about every temptation you face or have faced. Those you've resisted and those you've fallen prey to. Picture Jesus struggling the same way you have, only not giving in to temptation. Now, come before His throne of grace honestly and openly sharing your struggles and failures with Him. Ask for forgiveness. Ask for healing. Ask Him to lead You in His Way.

Lord, thank You for Your sacrifice on my behalf.
I am grateful You understand all my weaknesses.
There is not one thing You have not been tempted by.
I humbly come before You now, with my weaknesses,
my failures, my struggles with temptation and sin.
Minister to me as only You can.

No comments:

Post a Comment