Friday, July 15, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Reading: Hebrews 2:5-18
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy
are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters.
Hebrews 2:11

Ponder it for just a few minutes. The one who makes us holy... Jesus. The ones who are made holy...that's us, are the same family. This is a tough one for me to believe. Me, a sister of Christ? Jesus claims me before God as a sister. I think about all the reasons I am not sister material for Jesus. I know my sin, my short comings, my failure. I can't imagine why in the world Jesus would want to call me family. 

Yet, these words tucked into the second chapter of Hebrews are real... there in black and white. I wonder, do you find it hard to believe it too? Are you like me and think of all the reasons why you can't possibly be one of Jesus' siblings? This is the message of grace. On our own we don't have a bit of holy in us. None. Zero. Zilch. Only someone truly holy can make us holy. All this holy making business is God's work... not ours. Jesus finished the work on the cross, and by faith we believe it.

Go ahead, embrace your family today! You are a child of the Most High God, a sister or a brother of the King!

Lord, thank You for bringing me into Your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment