Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Reading: Hebrews 3:7-19
(Click on the link to read today's scripture.)

At the same time I am writing the devotionals for this month, Carol and I are also leading a Bible study. Our first week of study was about belief. We discussed what we believe, why we believe it, and where we struggle with unbelief. It's not a new subject. Here the writer of Hebrews gives warning about unbelief. One of the most difficult aspects of being a Christian is knowing what beliefs are most important. What items we should build our entire faith upon. Here is an excerpt from our study I think might apply.
It was over eighteen years ago but I still remember it. There the professor of Old Testament stood at the front of the class behind a table. On the table were two jars, two piles of rocks, two containers of pebbles, and two cups of sand. He begins to pour the items into one jar beginning with the smallest item first and says,“Faith is made up of many beliefs. Some are like tiny grains of sand and others seem big like these rocks. The question is which is which?”

He continued pouring until he came to the five rocks. In the end, only two of the five rocks would fit in the jar. He goes on to say, “When we place the small things in first, then often times there is not room for the big things.” He takes the next jar and begins again only this time in reverse. He places the rocks in the jar… then the pebbles… finally the sand. “What are your rocks?” he asks. “If you can identify your five core beliefs, those five things that will never, never change, then the rest will fall into place around those rocks.”

I'll never forget the professor's demonstration. I often go back to those rocks. It helps me remain grounded in a world where everyone seems to be screaming out their beliefs. It keeps me from being led astray, or becoming hard-hearted about issues in our world. Take some time today to think about your five rocks. Write them down. Maybe even share them with a friend.

Lord Jesus, I ask You to help me test my beliefs.
Help me to identify the five core beliefs that will keep me grounded in You.
Reveal areas where I am believing lies about You or me.
Root out any unbelief that keeps me from being faithful to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment