Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Reading: Hebrews 7: 11-28
(Click on the link to read today's scripture.)

Did you see what I did there in the last paragraph? I almost missed it. All this talk about high priests, and Melchizedek... of earthly priests and the law had me going. There in the last paragraph lies a phrase which caught my attention. Just the words I needed to hear today.

"Such a high priest truly meets our need--"-vs. 26

Let me tell you Jesus did exactly that today. Because I was all a mess this morning with neediness, and in the midst of it Jesus provided just what I needed. He brought the right person at the right time to give encouragement and listen. It was not coincidence or luck... not some good fate or cosmic happening. He knew my need before I even knew I would need. He put His plan into work before this morning even existed. He is our high priest. The one who meets all our need.

Maybe you've been where I was this morning... I'll probably be there again and so will you. Because we're all made to need Him and every moment is an opportunity to allow Him to meet the need. Some days He uses us to meet someone else's need. It's a glorious, beautiful thing He does, and what a blessing it brings!
Oh Jesus... thank you for meeting our needs... every single need. There are days I don't trust it. Days I work and work to meet my own needs. Forgive me Lord for trusting myself more than you. Show me how to trust you more. Allow me to be your instrument today, to meet someone else's need. In your name... amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment