Monday, July 18, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Scripture: Hebrews 3:1-6
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

"...the builder of the house has greater honor than the house itself" and the potter more honor than the clay, a painter more honor than the painting, the creator more honor than the creation. Do you see where I'm going here? So often we forget who we are in the scheme of things. We tend to lose sight of the fact we are the creation, the painting, the house. When we begin to act as if we somehow created ourselves, there is just one word for it... pride. Let me tell you, pride is an ugly thing. I know, I've been there. It can slip into our thinking so quickly we sometimes don't notice until we fall. This is the clear message of Proverbs.

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18 ESV

The Message puts it this way,

First pride--then the crash--the bigger the ego, the harder the fall.

Remembering we are His creation, a house under Christ's authority, is the best defense against the ugliness of pride. Do you find yourself being master of your domain? king of your hill? in charge of your life? Let me gently say with love to you... you aren't. Let us humble ourselves before we crash.

Oh Lord, forgive me for every thought, every action, every word rooted in pride.
Help me to remember I am nothing apart from You.
Teach me to honor You and not try to steal Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment