Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Hebrews

Today's Scripture: Hebrews 4:1-13
(Click on the link to read the verses.)

There remains then, a Sabbath-rest, for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their work, just as God did from his.
Hebrews 4:9-10

I remember when the only store open on Sunday was the grocery store, after 1:00 pm of course. One of my favorite things to purchase at the Piggly Wiggly was white bobby socks, but you couldn't buy socks on Sunday... only food. I remember when the personal computer was being developed for business and hearing some say it would help us work faster. It would turn a five day work week into four. And it did make work more efficient... our output much faster. But we didn't take the extra time to rest did we. Americans are obsessed with work. So much so, rest has become synonymous with being lazy. If you're resting, there better be something wrong with you because able bodies don't need rest!

From the very beginning, in the first chapters of the Bible, God instituted rest. He did it and He commanded it. Yet, we seem to think we know what's best for us and often ignore this all together. Several years ago I began to practice taking a Sabbath. Most often I choose Saturday because Sunday I'm working. Sabbath takes preparation and forethought. And for me it takes a lot of self-discipline because I like to work. I like to keep busy and doing and going. When is the last time you took even one hour to simply rest? how about an entire day? In our culture rest takes planning. May I challenge you to plan a Sabbath this week. Go ahead, take a day to rest... this is God's will for us.

"Be still and know that I am God. ..."
Psalm 46:10 ESV

Father God, teach me to rest and know You are God.
Teach me to trust You with a day off this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment