Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Gift of Reason

For by grace you have been saved through faith.
And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God…
Ephesians 2:8 ESV

I can hardly put into words what Jesus has done for me since He captured my heart some 23 years ago. Peace. Freedom. Joy. None came easily.

He swept me off my feet during my mom’s fatal illness. He led me to peace through years of fear and anxiety revealing my unbelief. He led me to freedom and joy through a painful season of confession to loved ones of a sin I would rather have kept under wraps. But Oh I wouldn’t trade any of it for where He’s brought me. What He’s given me.

So, what do I give Him? I think back to the beginning of my walk with Him. Choosing to give my life to Him. I also chose to believe Him. I remember telling Him:

I choose to believe Your Word because You say it’s Your Word. If I don’t understand it or it makes absolutely no sense to me, I will still believe it because You say it’s true. I’m wrong and You’re right. I choose to believe You are who You say You are. If You say You are good even when things seem bad. I’m believing You. If You say You are in control of all things, even when things appear totally chaotic. I’m believing You. If You say You hear my prayers, even when I feel like I’m talking to a wall. I’m believing You hear me. If You say it. I’ll believe it. And I’ll obey You to the best of my ability.

You could say I gave Him my reason. I gave Him my understanding, trusting I had none of my own. This was a gift of faith I gave Him and continue to give each day. I suppose you could say I’m giving back to Him what He gave me: faith.

Without giving Him my reason first, I don’t believe I’d have gotten to the place I am now. The journey He’s taken me on has made no sense to me. Steps of faith taken purely by faith have led me closer to Him. Where He continues to increase the gifts of joy, peace, and freedom in my life.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 ESV

Lord, today I can hardly believe all the things I’m thankful for.
Hard things You used to bring me to a place I never imagined.
Just as I can hardly imagine You in swaddling cloths in a manger,
I can hardly imagine Your great love for me.

Carol Weaver

No comments:

Post a Comment