Monday, December 12, 2016

The Gift of Forgiveness

“I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.”
Luke 15:7

I would just like to start this devotional by saying, I fail God daily. No matter how hard I try to be the perfect Christian, in some way or another, I always tend to slip up.

Sometimes I act selfishly, speak or act too quickly, mentally judge other people before fully attempting to understand their situation, etc., etc., etc. If one is not careful, it can be discouraging for Christians to recognize that humans are simply prone to a sinful nature.

Whenever I feel discouraged, and feel like I have succumbed to sin once again, I like to read Luke 15:7. It reminds me of God’s infinite mercy and grace for those who ask His forgiveness. According to this verse, God is happier to see one sinner repent, than He is to see ninety-nine righteous people who have no need to repent. This brings me joy, because I know that even though I’m a sinner, God still loves me. He sent Jesus to die for my sinful ways. Each time I repent and ask forgiveness, I am given the gift of God’s grace, and my heart is made new and perfect again.

So this Advent season, in response to the joy I receive from God’s grace, I am going to be more forgiving towards other people. This simple act of being forgiving towards others shows my gratitude to God for the grace He has shown me, regardless of what sinful act I have committed. In addition, being more forgiving could ultimately bring other people to know Christ, because I would be showing God’s love to them and giving them the same gift of grace God has given me.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other,
just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:32

Dear God, thank you for your gift of grace. Help us to let go of our pride, and be willing to forgive others, just as you are willing to forgive us. Amen

Lindy Lykins

No comments:

Post a Comment