Saturday, December 17, 2016

The Gift of Prayer: Thanksgiving

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."
Matthew 26:-29

One of the most meaningful moments on Christmas Eve is the celebration of the Eucharist. The Greek word Eucharist literally means thanksgiving. During the Advent season, we prepare for the birth of the Savior. It is a time of joy we only find in the shadow of the cross.

Jesus met with the disciples to celebrate. He took the bread, the wine… symbols of His broken body and blood poured out… and gave thanks. He sacrificed Himself for us. Let us in turn make a sacrifice of thanksgiving to Him this day.


Pray a prayer of thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment