Monday, December 19, 2016

The Gift of More

In recent years, I have managed to focus more and more on the true meaning of Christmas and to ignore the world’s hoopla in celebrating the Season. Advent studies and devotionals have helped me to concentrate on Jesus coming down as a vulnerable child to live amongst us, rather than how we can all do more and spend more.

Thankfully, I am past the point in my life where I am concerned with receiving gifts and am more able to focus on the joy of the world receiving the Christ-child. I experience joy by realizing what Jesus did and who he is. He died on the cross by his choice because I mattered to him and he loves me. He serves as my Lord, Savior, Good Shepherd, Teacher, and loving Elder Brother. Jesus is the Word Made Flesh.

I really do appreciate that He saved me, gave me His Word, His Spirit, and His Church. I pray often and try to make each day some sort of worship experience. But, is that all I should be giving Jesus? I need to be more intentional in my relationship with Christ. I need to be more ready to act, to help or witness to those whom God sends my way.

Christ can heal our hearts and bring comfort and mercy like nothing or no one else. But He needs us to invite Him in. He does not force His way in.

“Behold, I stand at the door and knock.”
Revelation 3:20 NKJV

We need to invite Him in to every “place” in our lives in order to experience the healing from our brokenness, even after or initial acceptance, called salvation. We need to encourage others to do this also. I am thankful I have friends that encourage me to move toward Jesus and to not forget or ignore Him. The more Jesus, the better, especially at Christmas-time!

Dear Father, please help me to love you more
and to move toward a Christ-centered life!

Russell Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment