Friday, April 29, 2016

Beyond the Gospel: Ephesians

Today's Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-24
[Be sure and read the verses before the rest. Open your Bible or the link above.]

Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love.
Ephesians 6:24 NIV

In the English Standard Version of the Bible, the word undying love is translated love incorruptible.

And I wonder...
Can your love for Jesus be corrupted? or die?
Will you love Him no matter what He allows in your life?
Or do you have a list of stipulations?

I'll love You as long as nothing happens to my children...
I'll love You as long as I'm healthy and happy...
I'll love You as long as our finances are good...
I'll love You as long as you protect me from crisis...

What can you think of that would corrupt... decrease... kill... your love for God?

Grace is with those who love the Lord no matter what.
Incorruptible love sees with eyes of grace.

They see His grace in the illness...
They see His grace in the loss...
They see His grace in the disappointment...
They see His grace in the crisis...

Those who love God with an undying love know He works all things for the good of those who love Him that are called according to His purpose.

Those who love God with an incorruptible love know He is trustworthy in whatever comes.

Those who love God with an eternal love have built their life on the Rock and no matter what storm comes they will not be shaken.

I've heard others say about a situation: Well, the God I know wouldn't let that happen! In these words and this attitude I hear a love that could be corrupted given that certain situation.

He allows some things to happen in this world that seem just awful this side of heaven. All you need do is look at the cross. The purpose for which He sent His Son, His only Son. But in that tragedy, that injustice, that horror, He made the Way for eternal salvation. He's still about the same business, saving lives one at a time by any means He sees necessary. This is the ground on which we build incorruptible... undying... eternal... love.

Father God, I praise You for Your steadfast love.
Forgive me when I don't recognize it in the goings on of the world
and my life. Forgive me when I'm blind to Your grace.
Open my eyes that I may see. Strengthen my love for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment