Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Galatians

Read today's passage: Galatians 6:11-18
[It's the last day of Galatians! Open it up online by clicking above or open up that Bible of yours.]

All this flesh vs Spirit talk in Galatians has come down to one thing...

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
... what counts is the new creation.
Galatians 6:14-15

Jesus's work on the cross. That's the only thing in your life that counts for anything!

Not your natural abilities, your financial gains, your position at work, in the community, or even at church. Not your material possessions, not your family background, not your relationships, not even if you go to church every Sunday.

None if it counts for anything. Only what Jesus has done for you.

Today is a significant day for me, it's my dad's birthday. He would have been 94 if he hadn't died seventeen years ago. My mom died five years before my dad, just ten days after his birthday in 1994. Both my mom and dad give me reason to boast in the cross of Christ alone.

You see, my dad lived for the flesh until my mom died. He lived by the rules, he was proud, he worked hard, he was a good father, he took care of his health, but he was missing a relationship with Christ. 

My mom's death was not in his plan (he was supposed to die first!) and it rocked his world. Shortly after, he came to saving faith. The same faith I'd just come to myself through the witness of my mom's trust in God during her illness and death.

Nothing my parents did, either good or bad, made the way for them to enter or not enter eternal life. Only because of Jesus's work on the cross do I know both my mom and dad live. Only because of His death and resurrection do I have the hope of life. 

Only because of the cross of Christ do any Believers have room to boast.

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your awesome work.
Thank You for seeking and saving so many of my family.
Thank You for continuing to seek those I love who are lost.
Thank You for my mom and dad...


No comments:

Post a Comment