Tuesday, March 28, 2017

In the Wilderness: Exodus 3

Today's verse: Exodus 3
Click the link above to read on BibleGateway.com.

"....Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt." But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?" He said, "But I will be with you..."
Exodus 3:10-12

Moses, called by God to return to Egypt and free the children of Israel. All he can say: Who am I? After years shepherding sheep, he's still not sure who he is. And he's uncertain who God is, too.

Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"
Exodus 3:13

Essentially Moses asks God: Who are You?

Sanctification, our journey toward holiness, not only helps us identify self, but also God. Steps of faith into the unknown through obedience to His call on our lives helps us to grow in understanding of Him.

I know I'm still discovering who He is to me, and who I am. The calls He places on my life have sent me stepping out into things I've never done and never imagined. Trusting Him with each step just because I believe (by faith) it's Him calling me.

The worst thing I've discovered about me, and continues to crop up, is how silly I feel at times following Him with no backing from a person or institution.

This is where Moses finds himself. A shepherd in the wilderness, no one calling him to save the children of Israel, but God. No credentials, no training, no human being backing him up. Just God saying: But I will be with you...

I've started prayer teams, led Sunday School, written devotionals and Bible studies, published blogs and an e-book all because He's asked me to. Yet I find myself longing for the certification, the education, the stamp of approval from some person or institution which says: You are legitimate.

Do you see what that says about what I know about God?! How little I think of His call on my life?! About His teaching and revealing in my life?! About who He is to me?! It's really pitiful. pathetic. I discount who He is daily, and His presence and purpose for my life, every time I ask the same thing Moses did: Who am I?

But by His grace... He continues to call... I continue to listen... and step out in faith...

What a gracious gracious gracious God, who continues to invite us into His work... His great and awesome work of salvation... even when we hardly know who He is... and often times prefer the praise of man over His praise.

For as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
As a father pities his children,
So the Lord pities those who fear Him.
For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.
Psalm 103:11-14 NKJV

Father God, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit, forgive me every time
I've discounted Your work in my life, the purpose You have for me,
and my desire for the approval of people. Continue to grow me,
sanctify me, by Your Word. Thank You for remembering what a mess I am.
And that You are not through with me yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment