Monday, March 6, 2017

Back to the Beginning: Genesis 40

No Bible handy. Click on the link to read today's verses: Genesis 40

Yet the chief cupbearer did not remember Joseph, but forgot him.
Genesis 40:23

Joseph attended the cupbearer and the baker in prison. He revealed his concern when he asked them why they were so downcast. Each shared their dream. Each received an interpretation with only one request: Remember me...

Three days passed, only three days, and the dreams became reality. You would think the cupbearer might have been amazed, even astounded at the accuracy of Joseph's interpretation. But no, in all the excitement of the king's birthday and release from prison, he didn't remember.

Poor Joseph made one request to no avail, and I'm thinking Joseph was banking on this one. Did he wait inside the prison that very day wondering when they would come for him? release him from his imprisoned life? As he fell asleep did he think, Maybe tomorrow they'll remember? At some point did he give up, forget the whole episode himself?

God's plan for our lives is never dependent on someone remembering. What we forget, God is sure to remember. He is no forgetter. You can count on Him remembering you in your struggle, your prison, your trauma. He's never forgotten a single prayer you've offered or promise He's made. 

When you find yourself forgetting today, give praise to the One who always, always... remembers.

Thus says the Lord..."...Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are continually before me. ..."
Isaiah 49:8, 16 ESV

Lord, thank You for remembering me, for engraving my name on Your palm.
Let me not forget, You remember me.

No comments:

Post a Comment