Thursday, March 9, 2017

Back to the Beginning: Genesis 42:1-15

Another chapter in the life of Joseph. Click on the link to read today's verses: Genesis 42:1-15

At first glance, I wondered why Joseph thought his brothers were there to spy... to find Egypt's weak spots. Let's return to the dream Joseph remembers as his brothers bow down in front of him.
Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more. He said to them, “Listen to this dream I had:  We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.”
 His brothers said to him, “Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?” And they hated him all the more because of his dream and what he had said. Genesis 37:5-8 
All Joseph had to go by is what he remembered. Brothers so full of hatred they sold him as a slave. Brothers who willingly turned him over to foreigners and changed his life forever. These brothers were not to be trusted. And now the dream is coming true and all Joseph can think is... not AGAIN!

Who can blame Joseph? Not me. Because I've mistrusted others for a lot less. You've probably heard the saying before, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." This may be the world's way, but it is not God's.

Jesus said... turn the other cheek... give him your cloak as well. Are you holding onto mistrust because someone hurt you? Has some relationship you have left you crying out... not again? Are you holding a grudge over something that happened years ago?

Maybe today is the day to let go...

Lord, help me to forgive like You. Help me to remember
all that happens is allowed by You and You have a plan to use it for good
and for Your glory. Free me from grudges, mistrust, and casting blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment